Friday, December 21, 2007

My iPod and My Xbox 360

So what does it say about my life when two of the biggest “concerns” of this past week have had to do with my Xbox 360 and my iPod? Now, to be fair, the last two weeks were consumed by weightier things with my preaching and teaching duties as well as some relationship “funkyness” with someone, but that has all subsided and I have come out on the other side of the problem with focus, joy, and determination.

Recently I was hit with the stressful situation and problems of two people who I am very close to and fond of. In one situation there is significant marital strain, but both parties are committed to fighting through. We spoke at some length and my heart just broke for them. Sometimes it is best to hear and know things even though they will cut deeply as opposed to not knowing about them to be able to deal with them. I am committed to pray for my friend and everything that may be contributing to the difficulties that they are going through.

The second issue that was brought to my attention (only an hour or so later) was from another brother in the Lord who I esteem very highly. Basically, the job market is tough, and companies make decisions that may or may not be of an overall benefit for individual employees. Stress about the security of one’s job is never a good thing, especially around Christmas and especially if you’ve been there for a few years. I asked how I could pray for him in this situation, and he asked for wisdom in decision making.

My marriage is sublime and my job security is as good as it has ever been, and I’ve been concerned over my Xbox 360 and my iPod. It kind of puts things into perspective. When I got home I just wanted to hug my wife and kids and just thank God for the blessings that He has given to us. Now, that could all change tomorrow – my job could end and some tragedy could come out of nowhere and bring a hard time to our family. May I encounter the hard times as my brothers in Christ are doing so now. Seeking to lean on Christ and trusting in Him for everything. May I be like Job and bless God and not curse Him even if my family and all that I have is stripped from me during this life. “Blessed be the name of the Lord!”


No comments:

Copyright © 2005-2010 Eric Johnson