Saturday, April 29, 2006

sound doctrine and righteous living

I ran across this great quote while working on my Sunday school lesson on Titus 2:1-10. This is from MacArthur's commentary on 2:1 where it says "speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine." It is always a good thing to bear in mind that we should not and cannot claim allegiance to Christ at the same time as we say that we do not need to live godly lives.

"The Bible never divorces doctrine from duty, truth from behavior. After presenting eleven chapters of basic New Testament doctrine, Paul then said to believers at Rome, 'I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present y our bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect' (Rom 12:1-2). He followed the same pattern in his letters to believers in Ephesus (see Eph 4:1), Philippi (see Phil. 4:8-9), and Colossae (see [Col] 3:2-10). Quoting Leviticus 11;44, Peter said, 'It is written, "You shall be holy for I am holy"' (1 Pet. 1:16). Those who claim the name of God have always been commanded to live godly lives."1


1Titus, MacArthur New Testament Commentary John MacArthur Jr. p. 71

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey sweetheart,
I just chose to sit and ponder some biblical things as a break in my day, and since I have not taken the time to read your blog for the last couple posts, I needed to. Thank you for your devotion to this blog. I love that you have this outlet to think Biblical things through, and be so very thorough. You have wisdom beyond your years, I think, and I have a deep respect for you. Keep up the good work.
SJ

Copyright © 2005-2010 Eric Johnson