Thursday, November 24, 2005

I'm Thankful For...(It's Thanksgiving!)

  1. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Without Your sacrifice and love for me, I would be on the receiving end (and justly so) of the wrath of God. Now, thankfully, I can love and serve my savior with joy and thankfulness for His awesomeness. My thankfulness is made greater whenever I see how wretched I am, and how much of a harlot I am when I truly examine my relationship to my Bridegroom. - May God give me the grace to follow Him only, and cling strongly to the Word and be committed to prayer so that I may be a faithful servant.
  2. The Word of God. One of my greatest struggles in my Christian life has always been diligent reading and studying of the Word. I have always known (well, for as long as I can remember) how important and necessary a desire for the Word as well as a habit of faithfully studying it is, but I have so often dropped the ball. I thank God that He is making the desire to read and study His Word more passionate in my heart, so that I can actually say that I love the Word and the reading and studying of it. - May God continue to grant me grace and endurance in this area. May I never just study the Word for mere knowledge, but may I study in the desire to grow in holiness and to serve my God better than I do now.
  3. My Wife - Stephanie. Whenever I sit back and actually think of the huge blessing that God has seen to give me in you, I am amazed. I cannot even begin to explain all of the ways that you make me a better servant, husband, father, and son. I promise to try to let you know more often how much I love you in both my words and my actions. You are the love of my life - May God show me how to try and out-serve you and love you sacrificially just as Jesus showed me by His example.
  4. My firstborn son, Micah. It is impossible to think of my life over the last 3 years and not think about him. Whether he was in his mother's womb or running around the house like a crazed and silly loon (I have no idea where he gets his silliness), he is a source of almost constant joy in my life. I have recently been reminded of how much of a blessing even a young boy can be when he is obedient, gentle, and loving. - I pray that God will give me the strength to be a consistent example of a faithful servant of The Lord to impress upon him. May God grow me into a wiser, more patient, and more loving father.
  5. My Unborn Son(s). As long as I live, it will be impossible to think about the birth of this child (which, as of Thanksgiving Day 2005, has not happened yet) without thinking about the child that we lost almost 18 months ago. Little Abi (if you want to know the story of this name, just ask) was only with us for a few weeks, but I cannot tell you how often I think of this child and still miss him (I always thought he was a boy). Knowing this - that he cannot come back to me, but that I can go to where he is - and the mixed joy and pain that this still comes to my heart when thinking of him- I can truly say that I am now able to better and more thoroughly love the son that I do have and the children that I will have (Lord willing).

    As for the little guy who is now making Stephanie's life miserable, I am so thankful for the blessing that you are, and the joy that you have already brought to our lives. I cannot wait to meet you and make you a part of this family. - May God grant me the ability to love this boy distinctly and individually for who he is and will be, not for who I want him to be. May the Lord give him and his mother safety and protection during his entry into this world.
  6. My Parents.
    1. What can a man say about his mother. Thank you for giving up a career, your 20's, 30's, and 40's, and some of your sanity to raise me. The sacrifice and example that you were in my life helped me know what a Godly mother and wife looks like and has helped me to find and love a Godly wife and mother for my own children.
    2. Dad. You were always a beacon of discipline, love, sacrifice and devotion. All of these things not only describe how you raised us, but also how you love the Lord. Your quiet example of reading the Word, memorizing it, and speaking truth in love has inspired me in ways that you may not know. I pray that I can have 1/2 of the impact on my sons that you have had on me (and Ethan and Ezra). I love you both very much, mom and dad.
  7. My Brothers - all 3 of you. Whether you and I didn't get along in High school, or whether we were able to come closer in a real way for this first time in high school, or that the Lord blessed me with the extreme privilege to lead you to salvation in Christ Jesus... no matter the circumstances that I have been through with each of you - thank you. I can say that all of you, Ethan, Ezra, and Jeff, have been a source of joy, encouragement, conviction, and frustration (c'mon, let's be real - I probably made each of you a little nuts once in a while) in my life. Thankfully, the frustration and or pain that you've caused me pales in comparison to the joy and goodness that you have brought to me. - I pray that I can be as good of a brother to you guys as the Lord has caused you to be toward me.
  8. To the many, many, many others to whom I owe my thanks - I do not have the time to write out my thanks for you. But I pray that I would show and express my thankfulness to you indivdualy so that you can know (if nothing else), that you have greatly impacted my life. Thank you.

No comments:

Copyright © 2005-2010 Eric Johnson